Book Draft
Written by: Brandon Julien
I was lost. Ma was out. Pa was out. It was quiet in the
house. So quiet that you could’ve heard the droplets of water trickling down
the kitchen sink. So quiet that you could hear donna from next door and her
kids. I was sitting in the living room chair . Lost.
Four oh clock
Five oh clock
Six oh clock
Seven oh clock
No one
Eight oh clock
Pa’s home
The hoursn of the night pass
Sleep say spa as he sees me sitting on the living room couch
still.
Seven oh clock am pa goes down to the station to see about
ma.
Eight oh clock pa and ma comes home. Ma was arrested because
she didn’t move when a white man asked her to.
Pa looked at us back and forth and back and forth. I could see in his eyes that he was
tiered. “Must’ve been waiting on ma like
me.” I thought to myself. “ ma.” I said. “ I missed you” She looked at me with those beautiful brown
eyes marching the color of her skin and smiled. A slow sad smile.
As the day commensed the tension in he house was subtle ma
and pa kept to themselfes. Each finding the strangest of things to keep busy.
Clening the windows in the house. Cleaning the basement.
It was Monday. A work day. Alone again I was. So alone the
sticks and stone began to calmy name. So alone the air began calling my name.
Four oh clock
Five oh clock
Six oh clock
Seven oh clock
Eight oh clock pa is home.
Nine oh clock
Ten oh clock
Mom aint home
“It happened again.” Said pa. “I cant deal with it.”
Each day as pa brought mom he looked tiereder then the day
before. Then came the arguing. After that I couldn’t takr it any more.
Something changed the next day. Ma was on ma’s side. The
arguing gone. The hate gone.
Then I heard someone on the radio Martin luther was his
name. He preacchrd a bout the future he saw for all. Then something changed ma
and pa prayed for him.
Ithought to myself how life is going to be different from
now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment